Другие статьи канала Hack This English
- How did you know
- About Skyler. About where to find me just now. How did you know
- That's just my meticulousness. Don't bog down in detail, Walt. The lesson here should be...
- Did you bug my house
- Yeah, but I didn't know it was your house, did I You'd moved out. Besides, you basically told me to.
- I told you to
- You strongly hinted that I should. You were worried your wife might say something to the police.
- What No, no, that's not true. When the hell did I say that
- Let's not get lost in the who, what and whens. The point is we did our due diligence and she didn't talk. She kept quiet. She stood by you, Walt...which, if you ask me, is the ironical silver lining here.
- I mean, on the one hand...sure, she snuck off the reservation to get some dirty, damp and deep. On the other hand...
- Off me. You're fired! You're done!
- Good! "Oh, boohoo, I won't cook meth anymore". You're a crybaby. Who needs you I'm unplugging the website, so no more money laundering. How do you like that
- I want those bugs out of my house today. I want them out now! meticulousness
- тщательность, скурпулезность due diligence
- должная осмотрительность sneak off
- улизнуть, сбежать
- Mr. Fring, I can guarantee you purity of 96%. I'm proud of that figure. It's a hard-earned figure,
96. However, this other product is 99, maybe even a touch beyond that. I'd need an instrument called a gas chromatograph to say for sure, but, uh, that last 3%, it may not sound like a lot, but it is.It's tremendous. It's a tremendous gulf.
- Gale, for our purposes, 96% will do just fine. Please, don't let this trouble you.
- Yeah. It's just... I'd love to know who synthesized it is all.
- A man who wants to work with me. A trained chemist, like yourself. But it won't happen. I don't consider him a professional.
- If he's not, I don't know what that makes me. I'm not trying to talk myself out of a job.
- With this person, there are other considerations.
- His is the best I've ever seen, hands down. And I look at this place that you've built, the money you're investing, sparing no expense.And I know, I know that you want the best. Gulf
- разрыв, пропасть
⬛️ SILVER LINING?
- светлая полоса, положительная сторона. Используют, чтобы подчеркнуть, что даже в самой хреновой ситуации есть кое-что позитивное.Actual example:?No doubt, a silver lining of the lockdown is a great improvement in air quality in big cities all around the world.#etymologyСамо словосочетание silver lining впервые упоминается в британском стихотворении 1634 г. После чего появилась пословица every cloud has a silver lining, аналог нашего "нет худа без добра". И как водится, постепенно сократили до silver lining, всем стало и так понятно, что имеется в виду.
- Adjusting for inflation...Good state college, adjusting for inflation...say, $45,000 a year. Two kids, four years of college, $360,
000. Remaining mortgage on the home, 107,
000.Home equity line, 30,
000. That's 137,
000. Cost of living, food, clothing, utilities...say, 2 grand a month.And that should put a dent in it, anyway. Twenty-four K a year, provide for, say, 10 years. That's $240,
000. Plus 360, plus
137.Seven thirty-seven. Seven hundred and thirty-seven thousand. That's what I need. That is what I need. You and I both clear about 70 grand a week.That's only 10 and a half more weeks. Call it
11. Eleven more drug deals, and always in a public place from now on. It's doable. Definitely doable.
Cost of living, food, clothing, utilitiessay, 2 grand a month.
- очень часто встречается в нативной речи, означает 1) "easily", влёгкую, и 2) "unquestionably", "without a doubt", без вопросов, однозначно. This financial crisis, hands down, has all chances to be the worst in the last 100 years.#etymologyИдиома пришла из середины XIX века, со скачек, когда жокей, сильно оторвавшись от соперников мог позволить себе отпустить поводья на финишной прямой. Потом стали применять для всех состязаний, когда кто-то обыгрывал соперников легко, "одной левой". А затем уже и для того чтобы подчеркнуть когда что-то "несомненно" и "без базара".
- вмятина, впадина? Put a dent (make a dent)
- на самом деле эта идиома с зубами или стоматологами не связана. Почти одинаково часто юзают её в нескольких значениях: 1) оставить вмятину/след/пробоину (literally or figuratively)Someone thrown a watermelon? out of the window and it made a dent in the roof of her car.I'm here to put a dent in the Universe. (dent in the universe
- "след в истории")2) уменьшить или ослабить что-то;
иметь эффектThis worldwide quarantine will make a dent in salaries of many people.
- Why are you purposely giving him free meth
- These bitches are bleeding us enough already.
- You are paid extraordinarily well. Why can't you just appreciate that
- Yeah. Hey, I've been crunching numbers.
- Oh, you've been crunching numbers
- Yeah. And I don't gotta be a mathematician to figure out...that this deal you made is bullshit.
- We both earn...
- Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. A million and a half each. What's he getting, huh Say he's wholesaling at 40 large a pound.That's probably high.High. What, for our stuff That's what I was getting. All right, look, say he's getting 40 a pound. All right, 200 pounds a week for three months. And, like, what happens at the... end of the three months Look, whatever.Two hundred pounds a week for three months. That's 2400 pounds.Twenty-four hundred times 40,000 is... And I swear to God, I double-checked this like 10 times.
- Ninety-six million dollars.Ninety-six million dollars. All right Ninety-six million. Ninety-six to our three. That is messed up, yo. That is so messed up. Fairness-wise, I can't even...
- Jesse. You are now a millionaire and you're complaining What world do you live in
Hey, I've been crunching numbers.— Oh, you've been crunching numbers?
- Oh, you've been crunching numbers?
- аналог не руби сук, на котором сидишь? Chickens come home to roost
- "курочки возвращаются на насест";
когда чьи-то предыдущие действия приводят к нехорошим последствиям. Русский аналог
- аукнется.? Be your own worst enemy
- быть сам-себе врагом? Shoot yourself in the foot
- прострелить себе ногу
- I'm definitely a libertarian. Consenting adults want what they want... and if I'm not supplying it, they will get it somewhere else. With me, they're getting exactly what they pay for
- no added toxins or adulterants.Yeah, I was doing it the way you are supposed to...pursuing my doctorate at Colorado, NSF research grant.I was on my way, jumping through hoops... kissing the proper behinds... attending to all the non-chemistry that one finds oneself occupied by.You know that world.That is not what I signed on for.I love the lab.Because it's all still magic. You know Chemistry I mean...once you lose that...
- It is. It is magic. It still is. kiss the proper behinds
- целовать нужные задницы