No more shoptalk!Sorry.
Другие статьи канала Hack This English
⬛️ SHOPTALK / TALK SHOP?
⬛️ SHOPTALK / TALK SHOP
- это не болтовня о покупках, как можно подумать. Shoptalk (noun) и talk shop (verb) это про обсуждение работы или другой деятельности, обычно с использованием специфических терминов и жаргона.
Eventually, he got bored with the shoptalk of the nuclear engineers, which he barely understood.
#etymologyОдно из значений слова shop, появившееся в начале XIX века
- one’s trade or things related to one’s profession. Пошло оно от того, что магазин был местом, где присутствовали люди разных бизнесов и профессий. С этим значением shop появилось и talk shop в качестве "обкашливать профессиональные вопросы".
- Gomey, is that you
- Buddy, yeah, it's me.
- That's you, Gomey
- Yeah, Hank. I'm right here.
- Come here. Closer.
- What is it
- Closer... Asshole!
- Man, he got you good.
- Yeah, yeah.
- I'm glad to see you still have your twisted sense of humour.
- Hey, check this out. I got something that'll make you feel better. Been keeping an eye on that blue meth of yours. Six, seven weeks, nothing. Then all of a sudden, boom, it's popping up everywhere. Look at the new locations. Texas, Nevada, up in Farmington. Even right here in town. A teener here and there, you know, strictly street-level amounts. Man, it's crazy.
- How exactly is that supposed to make me feel better
- Because you were right. You're the only one that saw this coming.
- Well, three cheers for me. This thing doesn't do a damn thing.
- Hank, it's probably still on lock-out.
- It's been an hour, right I'm hurting here. I could use some meds.
- I'll go find somebody. Hey, no more shop talk.
Nice job, you're cool! ?
Многие отметили варианты с корректной %%-грамматикой! А теперь простое #grammar правило как использовать проценты в английском чтобы запомнить раз и навсегда.
? Percent (он же per cent, он же per-cent) используем в единственном числе.
❌ Wrong: 10 percents of us✅ Correct: 10 percent of us
? В то же время (!) percent может действовать как singular или plural в зависимости от того, что измеряем: для исчисляемой величины percent это множ.число (are, do), для неисчисляемой, например воды,
- единств.число (is, does).
❌ Wrong: 2% of citizens owns 80% of the country's wealth✅ Correct: 2% of citizens own 80% of the country's wealth
❌ Wrong: 50% of beer were a good part in your cocktail with vodka✅ Correct: 50% of beer was a good part in your cocktail with vodka
? Для предыдущего пункта имеется исключение. Есть устойчивые словосочетания the 1% и the 99%, которые по сути являются названиями конкретных групп людей: richest-people group, и ordinary-people group. В этом, и только в этом случае, % от numerable величины будет работать в единственном числе:
✅ Correct: The 1 percent owns 50% of the country's wealth
A Message to the Government No, seriously, it's an ideal template for appealing to the government
- applicable for our country too https://t.co/OLvo0lKtuyamp=
- ипотека. Loan
- займ, кредит.
- Hey, there! I'm back! How was P.T. I heard it was very good.
- I'm really liking this new therapist. He keeps me in the loop, always has time for a phone call. I just-- I like it. So...tell me all about it. I heard you broke new ground today.
- I broke new ground
- That's what he said. Tell me.
- I walked 16 feet in 20 minutes, which is up from my 15 1/2 yesterday. And I had maybe this much less shit in my pants, so yeah, Marie, if you and him and everybody else in America secretly took a vote and changed the meaning of the entire English language, yeah, I guess I broke new ground. P.T.
- physiotherapy keep in the loop
- держать в курсе
⬛️ BREAK NEW GROUND?
- совершить прорыв. Выражение часто используют для описания инноваций, когда что-то делается впервые, не так как делалось ранее:The invention of compact vacuum cleaners broke new ground in cleaning industry.?The world's waiting when researchers break new ground with the vaccine against covid-
19.Ещё можно использовать и в качестве прилагательного, ground-breaking. Например, ground-breaking technology.
- How did you know
- About Skyler. About where to find me just now. How did you know
- That's just my meticulousness. Don't bog down in detail, Walt. The lesson here should be...
- Did you bug my house
- Yeah, but I didn't know it was your house, did I You'd moved out. Besides, you basically told me to.
- I told you to
- You strongly hinted that I should. You were worried your wife might say something to the police.
- What No, no, that's not true. When the hell did I say that
- Let's not get lost in the who, what and whens. The point is we did our due diligence and she didn't talk. She kept quiet. She stood by you, Walt...which, if you ask me, is the ironical silver lining here.
- I mean, on the one hand...sure, she snuck off the reservation to get some dirty, damp and deep. On the other hand...
- Off me. You're fired! You're done!
- Good! "Oh, boohoo, I won't cook meth anymore". You're a crybaby. Who needs you I'm unplugging the website, so no more money laundering. How do you like that
- I want those bugs out of my house today. I want them out now! meticulousness
- тщательность, скурпулезность due diligence
- должная осмотрительность sneak off
- улизнуть, сбежать
She kept quiet.
- Mr. Fring, I can guarantee you purity of 96%. I'm proud of that figure. It's a hard-earned figure,
96. However, this other product is 99, maybe even a touch beyond that. I'd need an instrument called a gas chromatograph to say for sure, but, uh, that last 3%, it may not sound like a lot, but it is.It's tremendous. It's a tremendous gulf.
- Gale, for our purposes, 96% will do just fine. Please, don't let this trouble you.
- Yeah. It's just... I'd love to know who synthesized it is all.
- A man who wants to work with me. A trained chemist, like yourself. But it won't happen. I don't consider him a professional.
- If he's not, I don't know what that makes me. I'm not trying to talk myself out of a job.
- With this person, there are other considerations.
- His is the best I've ever seen, hands down. And I look at this place that you've built, the money you're investing, sparing no expense.And I know, I know that you want the best. Gulf
- разрыв, пропасть
⬛️ SILVER LINING?
- светлая полоса, положительная сторона. Используют, чтобы подчеркнуть, что даже в самой хреновой ситуации есть кое-что позитивное.Actual example:?No doubt, a silver lining of the lockdown is a great improvement in air quality in big cities all around the world.#etymologyСамо словосочетание silver lining впервые упоминается в британском стихотворении 1634 г. После чего появилась пословица every cloud has a silver lining, аналог нашего "нет худа без добра". И как водится, постепенно сократили до silver lining, всем стало и так понятно, что имеется в виду.
- Adjusting for inflation...Good state college, adjusting for inflation...say, $45,000 a year. Two kids, four years of college, $360,
000. Remaining mortgage on the home, 107,
000.Home equity line, 30,
000. That's 137,
000. Cost of living, food, clothing, utilities...say, 2 grand a month.And that should put a dent in it, anyway. Twenty-four K a year, provide for, say, 10 years. That's $240,
000. Plus 360, plus
137.Seven thirty-seven. Seven hundred and thirty-seven thousand. That's what I need. That is what I need. You and I both clear about 70 grand a week.That's only 10 and a half more weeks. Call it
11. Eleven more drug deals, and always in a public place from now on. It's doable. Definitely doable.